Wolves Take OverWarrington Wolves took possession of their new home æThe Halliwell Jones StadiumÆ this morning. The Wolves started their campaign for a new stadium back in July 1999 and it has taken four long years to get to this stage, with the following events taking place.
- 29th July 1999 Wolves start campaign for new stadium
- 15th August 2000 Wolves and TescoÆs joint venture announced
- 23rd August 2000 Council say yes, but refer the development to a public inquiry
- 11th January 2001 Wolves notified that they have been granted a public inquiry
- Pre-inquiry meeting took place on Monday 19th March 2001 at the Town Hall, Warrington.
- The Planning Inquiry took place from Tuesday 15th to Thursday 24th May 2001 at the Parr Hall, Warrington.
- Thursday 5th December 2002 the Warrington Borough Council Development Control Committee to unanimously approve the æReserved Matters ApplicationsÆ for a Tesco Store, Rugby Stadium and a Petrol Filling Station with associated car and coach parking on the former Tetley Walker Brewery Site, Winwick Road.
- Government announced Planning Inspectors approval on the 19th December 2002
- Broke ground at the Winwick Road site in January 2003
- Naming rights of the stadium announced on the 24th September 2003 The Halliwell Jones Stadium.
- Heathcotes Catering contract for The Halliwell Jones Stadium announced 3rd October 2003
- BARR Construction hand over first week of October 2003
- Sunday 22nd February 2004 Wolves first home fixture of TetleyÆs Super League IX
20, Oct, 2003